Betting on Scrum

>> 23 August 2008

It's been a year since my ScrumMaster training - time to renew my Scrum Alliance membership. Time to consider the value of membership. Time to consider my place in the Agile community. Time to decide if, as an experience designer, I can find a place in that community!

First, what did I gain for my original investment of $1300 out of pocket and a couple of vacation days?

  • I discovered Jeff Patton's excellent work. He offers one of the best collections of experience design resources I've found at his site, AgileProductDesign.com. The discussion list he moderates on agile usability attracts leaders in both fields.
  • I'm happy to work in a framework that values empathy and story in addition to analysis and research.
  • I like working with and learning from engineers. I'm glad I get to talk with them more.
  • I'm passionate about enabling real people to do real things, and with tools that come easily to hand and leave them happy. Seems like lots of Agile engineers are, too. I like that.
I've found some things less congenial.
  • I'm tired of "how many agilists can dance on the head of a pin" discussions. Who's really doing Agile? What methods are really Agile? Can you be an Agile practitioner if you don't produce code? Which Agile guru speaks with the most authentic voice? Can you trace your Agile sensei's pedigree through an unbroken chain of master and student to the founders? Are you still Agile if you learned from someone else? What does the Manifesto mean and whose interpretation is Agile?
  • The Agile world does not seem to be a comfortable place for user experience practitioners, still less for business analysts. I have been stunned by the number and intensity of insulting, patronizing, and downright hostile opinions I have seen expressed. Manifesto values like respect have at times been glaringly absent.
  • Scrum is a hard practice to evangelize. Managing a product backlog or scrum backlog seems to require discipline at least as great, if not greater, as does "traditional" project planning. It's more structure than people who don't like project management overhead want, and people who have to pass regulatory audits are afraid it's not enough.
The software world has never been without its religious wars, and you can't please all the people all the time. Experience designers, product people, and engineers eventually will find their places under the Agile umbrella.

And somewhere there's a dogma-free Web app team full of people passionate about enabling people to express their personal and professional power through software - and room for one more like them.

At least, I just bet $50 on the possibility!

About

Faith Peterson is a versatile business analyst and user experience designer practicing in and around Chicago, IL. She works on Web-enabled business applications for content management, digital asset management, and business process management.

  © Blogger template Digi-digi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP